3.20.2014

Moving Forward

Yesterday the insurance company and all of our contractors showed up at our house to find the cause of the fire. For 3 hours they tested every little thing and could not find a leak anywhere. The fire was deemed an "accident." Ultimately it came down to the valve and whether or not it was all the way shut off. This is a bit concerning to me because immediately after the fire, Brad and my dad both checked the valve and it was closed and snug. There is a possibility that a piece of construction debris was stuck in there keeping it the slightest bit open even when we thought it was turned off. We really don't know. The term "accident" just means that they have no clue why this happened.

Tomorrow will begin the demolition of the fireplace, all of the walls effected, the hardwood floors, carpeted floors and the ceilings. We are *hoping* that the repairs will take less than 6 weeks, but I am familiar with the process and I am not holding my breath on any set timeline.

While the work is going on in the inside, I am getting a bit excited to start planting things in the yard. Our yard is a bit overwhelming at over 2 acres, so we are going to be working in small phases. We hope to have a landscape architect make a plan that we can follow over the next few years.

I want a lot of year round greenery and perennials to make things easier. 
 I also want tons of hydrangeas.
 I was thinking knock out roses around the porch. These do well here in Georgia and bloom all summer long.

Have you begun planting where you are or are you still waiting to thaw out? So many places have had such horrible winters, I know everyone is glad today is SPRING!

6 comments:

  1. I just finished reading all your fire posts. We had a fire last summer (the wall AC randomly caught fire) so I can very much relate (well, to some of it - I didn't have kids, just cats, and it wasn't a brand new house to us!). It ended up being 2 months in a hotel for us. I like your positive attitude & think focusing on the yard is a good plan =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sorry to hear about your fire as well! I would love if we are only displaced another month but sadly I think it will be longer!

      Delete
  2. I love all those yard photos!! All of them would look great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elise! I think I am totally underestimating how much work the landscaping is going to take! :)

      Delete
  3. Candace, so glad to hear things are moving along(albeit, slowly) and your home will be back to normal soon. If you are looking for a landscape architect please call my sister in law! She owns her own business in sandy springs and is AWESOME! Her name is Molly Welch and her company is W Design. 404.414.3024

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Megan thanks for sharing. Does she have a site?

      Delete

I love hearing from you! Thanks for your comments!