7.27.2012

Natural beauty tricks I want to try...


Lately I have been increasingly skeptical of all of the chemicals that we come into contact with. Our cleaning products, our soap, our toothpaste, diapers, wipes, toys... you name it... they all have chemicals in them. A few months ago I made the switch to making my own cleaning products (Thank you Pinterest) and have been very happy with the results. I have one product that multitasks as an all purpose cleaner, and even a carpet cleaner. I also use baking soda, vinegar, or peroxide to rid our clothes of stains. I have decided that I would like to take a more natural approach to my beauty routine as well.
If Brad is reading this, he is going to think I have gone on some crazy hippy kick again like I did when I switched to cloth diapers. Confession, Archer's butt has never come into contact with a cloth diaper. I know that I should get back in to using them, but being a working mom, I totally understand why disposables were invented... I digress...
I am giving up face wash, shampoo & conditioner. Yes, you read that right. I have been reading a lot about using olive oil as a natural skin cleanser. You can read about it here It apparently makes a great face wash. Also a combination of baking soda and water is said to make a great shampoo. You can read about that here I plan on trying both, and then I will get back to you with progress or results. Has anyone else done either of these things? Am I crazy?
Do you have any natural remedies you like to use around the house? Please share!

7 comments:

  1. I used OCM for a long time with success. I only stopped because of the convenience factor. It's much faster to wash your face with traditional face soap then take the time to steam your face and wash the oil off. But it def worked!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I make my own laudry detergent, clean everything with vinegar and water, and I wash my face with honey! its a natural antibacterial! Love it! and it makes my face feel soo smooth! cant wait to hear if these other things work! I might have to try them myself!:)

    -Ashley (www.makingamrs.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I make an orange-infused vinager cleaner. Basically you let orange peels and vinager sit in a mason jar for a few weeks and then strain it, mix the vinager with water (3 parts vinager to 1 part water) and put it in a spray bottle and voila! It smells great! I started making our own detergent too, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tried to clean using a vinegar and water mixture but I hated the smell. The I tried to soak oranges in vinegar to get a citrus smell, but that just attracted knats, haha. I hope you have better luck with the cleaning products. I do make my own body scrub that only has olive oil, white sugar, and brown sugar in it and I add a few drops of essential oil. It's the best!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tried baking soda and water as shampoo. I read that rinsing with vinegar would condition your hair so that's what I did. I was so paranoid that I smelled like vinegar but my husband and daughter confirmed that I didn't. It seemed to work well. Once my stockpile of shampoo is gone, I may try to make the switch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been paying a lot more attention to a lot of chemicals in everyday products, and have been making a few changes. I've heard a lot about oils as the sole face cleanser. I know someone who used her own shampoo and conditioner but with less than desirable results, so I hope it works out well for you. I'd love to hear about your results after a month or so!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Read the book "Beauty Secrets of the Bible", she explains everything natural to use that they used in biblical times and it really works! My mom and have been using her recipe for facewash for years and love it!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Thanks for your comments!